Authorize.net Credit Card Processing Setup
There are three main steps in the process of setting up credit card processing for your website or the POS.
Obtain a Merchant Services bank account.
Obtain an Authorize.net payment gateway (hereafter referred to as
an Authorize.net account).
- Enter your Authorize.net API Login ID and Transaction Key into the Crystal Commerce admin.
A Merchant Services account is a type of bank account that allows businesses to accept payments by payment cards, typically debit or credit cards. Most normal banks offer merchant services accounts, but it can be more cost efficient to choose a bank that specializes in these kinds of accounts. We recommend Gravity Payments, as we work with them frequently, and know that they offer competitive rates.
Once you have settled an a Merchant Services bank, we suggest you have them set up your Authorize.net account for you, once you have decided what kind of account you need.
A payment gateway is an e-commerce service that authorizes payments for e-businesses and online retailers. Crystal Commerce integrates with Authorize.net for payment gateway services. There are two types of Authorize.net accounts that can be integrated with our system, and you will need one or both. Those two types of accounts are:
1. Card Present: If you want to run credit transactions in store, you will need a Card Present Authorize.net account. You will also need a magnetic stripe reader, credit card terminal, or another device that will enable you to run the credit card at the store.
2. Card Not Present: If you would like to accept credit card payments on your website, you will need a Card Not Present Authorize.net account.
If you would like to accept cards in both of these locations, you will need both accounts. Your merchant services provider will need this information in order to set up your accounts properly.
Note: We do not integrate with any payment gateway providers other than Authorize.net at this time, so you will need to use them as your gateway. It is best to have this set up through your merchant services bank account, so you do not need to try to set this up on your own!
Once you have a merchant services bank account set up, and they have set up the appropriate authorize.net accounts for you to use, you will need to enter in the API Login ID and Transaction Key from that account (or those accounts) into the Crystal Commerce admin. Instructions on how to access those can be found here:
Once you have located your API Login ID and Transaction Key:
- Go to your Account > Payments tab in your admin
- Select one of the following:
- For a Card Not Present Account, select New Authorize.net Payment Source
- For a Card Present Account, select New Authorize.net Card Present Payment Source
- Enter in your API Login ID and Transaction Key and select Create Payment Source in order to start accepting credit cards on your site and/or POS.
-Authorize.net is capable of creating Accounts that can be used for both the Card Present, and Card Not Present transactions. The CrystalCommerce system is not currently setup to use the same account for both Card Present, and Card Not Present transactions. It it neccesary to obtain 2 different accounts, one for Card Present, and one for Card Not Present.
- Make sure your Authorize.net account is in test mode. All new Authorize.net accounts are created in test mode, so that no real transactions are processed until the appropriate time comes. Find out how to turn that off here.
When you check your Transaction Key on Authorize.net, one will be generated for you to use. If you check it again, a new key will be generated, so the previous key will not work.
Remember to Take your Authorize.Net Account out of Test Mode once you are ready to accept live payments.